Some weeks ago, I started reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. And it turned my mood around completely.
I was lounging on a sofa at Café Coffee Day, Chandigarh. The ambiance was pleasant. The green apple soda I was sipping was tasty.
But my heart was not happy. I was doubting myself and my decisions.
“Why was I so involved in conducting experiments about my life and writing about them - so much so that I did not take up a job after college?Had I taken up a job after college, maybe I would be working at Delloite, Mumbai earning half a million rupees an year.
Or I could have accepted that offer to study at Georgia Tech…I would have been living in the USA enjoying a comfortable lifestyle and also drawing a hundred thousand rupees a month.
Or I could have finished my MBA from IIM Ahmedabad and earned Rs 1.6 million a year… Look at X, she’s always been a dumbo – and she’s earning so freaking much today. Even Y..who can’t speak English is earning more than me.
And here I am –good at presentations, reasonably fluent in English, and committed to work - I am jobless…thinking about life experiments …”
That’s when I opened the pages of The Alchemist and started reading.
I had read 12 pages when I finished my drink. And something strange happened.
I was suddenly at peace. My thoughts had taken a U-turn as I read those 12 pages.
The 12 pages of The Alchemist told me something fascinating: that I was right in following my dream!
That no matter how much money I was earning right now – I was doing what I loved – something that I was meant to do. And so all was well. :)
My path was a path of the soul. One day, my dream would come true. I would lead a sustainable lifestyle where I experimented with my life every year- immersed myself in lucid dreaming or astral projection or the law of attraction or travelling .. And I would share all these experiments on this site.
How could the “soulless” path of a corporate executive match up to the joy of doing what you wanted to do? If someone spent all day working on how to increase the sales of soap – but if he didn’t care about soap at all – then what was the point of his life? If asked – “why do you do this?” – would he not say..”I really don’t know”? If someone asked me why I conducted my law of attraction experiment – I would say – “Because I love this whole thing and I find meaning in it!”
The first few pages of The Alchemist were enough to make me believe in my dream again. Maybe that is how powerful the book is.
|Have you already read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho? Tell your story here!|
Do You have a dream? Anything…maybe travelling around the world hugging everyone? Becoming a singer who sings “peace songs”? Winning an Olympic Gold Medal in skating? If you do have something like that hidden inside, I think this book will help. If you have buried that dream deep down within yourself - The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho will dig it out. It’ll coax you to “forget about everything and do what you want.”
If you ever wanted to climb Mount Everest without any support or equipment- but thought it would be foolish to do so, well, this book will make you become foolish and do it. :)
…Actually, I’ve said enough. You have to read The Alchemist to know….:)
After I read the book, I sat down and compiled a list of 'The Alchemist Quotes'. Many of them shook me a bit and made me close my eyes.
Here they go.
* “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting”
* “The problem is that they don’t even realize that they’re walking the same path everyday. They don’t see that the fields are new and the seasons change. All they think about is food and water. “
* “…at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.”
* “Everyone, when they are young, knows what their destiny is.”
* “..whoever you are, or whatever it is you do, when you really want something, it’s because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It’s your mission on earth.”
* “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
* “..there were certain things one shouldn’t ask about, so as not to flee from one’s own destiny.”
* He realized: if I can learn to understand this language without words, I can learn to understand the world.
* “When you want something with all your heart, that’s when you are closest to the soul of the world.”
* ”Without…love, one’s dreams would have no meaning.”
* “..love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t true love…the love that speaks the language of the world.”
* “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.”
* “I love you because the entire universe helped me find you.”
* “There is only one way to learn…It’s through action.”
* “Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the soul of the world, and it will one day return there.”
* “Why do we have to listen to our hearts?” – “Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you’ll find your treasure.”
* “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say.”
* “..no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
* “..before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way.“
* “When you possess great treasures within you , and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.”
* “Your eyes show the strength of your soul.”
* “Don’t give in to your fears,” said the Alchemist…”if you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.”
* “When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening..”
* “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.”
* “Be aware of the place where you are brought to tears…that’s where your treasure is.”
Do you want to buy The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho? You can buy it here..if you feel the urge.
$2.85 - $9.49
Have A Great Story About The Alchemist?
The Alchemist is a book that changes lives. Did it change yours? Do tell us all and inspire us.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.